Monday, May 19, 2008

DIARY ENTRY 4

from A. D.
to maketodayhistory@gmail.com,
date Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM
subject Fwd: an ordinary day
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details 10:03 PM (14 minutes ago)


Reply





5.15am - Oh God! It's not that time already....just a few more minutes.........

6.20am - Oh Shit! It's 6.20 already and Helen is doing the school run...she's often early! Cathal, quick get up.....help me!
(He continues to snore.)

It's Tuesday morning and I run into Seamus' room telling him to quickly get up and come downstairs for breakfast. I wake up Vandana,
who has taken to sleeping with a coconut who also needs to be fed this morning, and be brought to the table with her blanket! God help us all...

6.30am At the breakfast table...guiltily serving boxed cereal instead of my tradition of freshly cut fruit in little Earthworks bowls
with the small gold plated pineapple spoons the kids like to use in the morning...and something else a little more nutritious which helps to make me feel like a
more responsible mother....they'll survive....

Finally they're both out the door, in full uniform with lunch boxes packed and backpack or reading book.

7.00am Have on my walking shoes and I am ready to get my bit of exercise since I don't do the drive to school this morning. I love this time. On my own,
still cool enough. Out the gap of the dairy and up the road through Workmans....past homes mostly closed up, everyone off to work and school already.
Twnety minutes into the walk, I decide to go through a field and pick up at least a hundred burrs on my shoes and socks....the field is beautiful and large and green.
I can't see anyone. It's just me, the grass and the wind. I get to the cartroad and walk past a small wooded area with the shak shak trees making the most marvelous sounds,
rattling away against a sky which is now growing darker. Remembering last night's event - the launch of Phillip Nanton's CD Island Voices at the Waterfront cafe and thinking how wonderful the performance was...felt like Barbados actually had a buzz and a bit of a scene...

It will rain.

I can hear it coming....I love that...seeing it and hearing it - feeling excited that I am going to get rained upon.
Keep going, heading in a westerly direction now...the rain falls on my back.
Going past the shrivelling up pond with ducks facing the rain, pushing their chests out, all lined up together.
Past the lonely stallion, past the cows....walking, raining, feeling cool and sweet and exhilarated.
Down the road, up a grassy hill and home again...breath is short. Feel energised. Knees hurt a bit.

7.45am Hot shower and shampoo.

8.00am Breakfast - herbal tea, pineapple, whole grain bread with home made delicious, mango jam. Yum!

8.20am. Turn on the computer. Check emails. Respond. Try to figure out, unsuccessfully, the website which is supposed to be an idiot proof
guide to build your own Business Plan. Can't figure it out...dark realisation...I must be the idiot. General administrative work on the computer which
keeps me out of the studio where I really should be.

Cathal checks the TV off and on to see what the debate is re Barack and Hillary fighting for North Carolina and Indianna. Media seems to be suggesting that Hillary has a figthing chance....I can't handle anything other than Barack winning....get irritated by ANY anti-Barack sentiments and interact with the televsion from time to time.



Around noon...have lunch with Cathal....

No comments:

NOTICE OF THE PROJECT

MAKE TODAY HISTORY

This project by the artist Ingrid Persaud aims to record an ordinary day, Tuesday May 6 2008, in the life of people in Barbados.
If you are in Barbados on May 6 all you do is keep a diary of your day, between 600 -1000 words, and email it to her.

It will function as a time capsule capturing for history what people did on that very normal day – what they wore, what they ate, where they went, what transport they used – just the stuff of a normal day. It is not about recording extraordinary events.

The records will ultimately be available online for all to share. Keep a record of the day and send to:

maketodayhistory@gmail.com

You can email it anytime between 6 and 9 May 2008.

Please tell your family, colleagues and friends.