Monday, May 19, 2008

DIARY ENTRY 27

from Paul
to maketodayhistory@gmail.com,
date Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:24 AM
subject my day (attached)
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details 11:24 AM (35 minutes ago) [Tuesday May 6th 2008.doc]


Reply


Tuesday May 6th 2008

I woke up at 7.45 am thinking it was later, maybe 9am, but that was a trick of the mind between sleep and wakefulness. I got up, showered, shaved and dressed. I ate a small breakfast of warmed salt bread, marmalade and black coffee. After breakfast I made two cheese and tomato cutters to take with me for lunch. It was one of my own tomatoes from the small kitchen garden I have. It had rained heavily for about ten minutes at dawn so I did not need to water the whole garden, just the lettuces to make sure they didn’t wilt during this hot dry season.

I left St George about 9am and headed over towards Christ Church to make some cold calls but the office called and as two people were off sick they wanted me to go in earlier than I had planned. I made one stop on the way in at the monthly second hand book stall outside Big B and bought Howard’s End by E M Forster for $2 and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez for $5.

Arriving at the office I was told that a customer who had just bought a photocopier had sent a PO through for a fax machine which I delivered later that morning.

The afternoon was very quiet. My two bosses left at 2.30pm and I was on my own. The phone hardly rang and it was very boring. I watched an episode of the UK cult comedy called the Mighty Boosh on the internet and chatted to my girlfriend in St Lucia on line.

I left just before 5pm and went to my gym. I did two classes – gravity Pilates and step aerobics. There was a one hour break between the two classes and I ate an apple to keep me going and chatted with friends.

Leaving to go home at 8.45pm the ABC highway was closed and the diversion took me through the edge of Bridgetown, a frustration as I was tired and hungry.
I reached home at 9pm and fortunately had some jerk chicken that I had made on Sunday marinating in the fridge. I grilled this and served it with fried plantain and eggplant and drank rum and coke.

Before sleeping at 11pm I read some more of Orhan Pamuk’s “Istanbul”.

No comments:

NOTICE OF THE PROJECT

MAKE TODAY HISTORY

This project by the artist Ingrid Persaud aims to record an ordinary day, Tuesday May 6 2008, in the life of people in Barbados.
If you are in Barbados on May 6 all you do is keep a diary of your day, between 600 -1000 words, and email it to her.

It will function as a time capsule capturing for history what people did on that very normal day – what they wore, what they ate, where they went, what transport they used – just the stuff of a normal day. It is not about recording extraordinary events.

The records will ultimately be available online for all to share. Keep a record of the day and send to:

maketodayhistory@gmail.com

You can email it anytime between 6 and 9 May 2008.

Please tell your family, colleagues and friends.