Monday, May 19, 2008

DIARY ENTRY 14

from L. W.
to maketodayhistory@gmail.com,
date Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:03 AM
subject my journal entry
mailed-by hotmail.com

hide details 12:03 AM (6 hours ago) [may the 6.docx]


Reply


Tuesday may 6th found me waking up in the parish of Christ Church, Maxwell Plains to be precise where I currently reside. After not going to bed early it took some time despite my alarms best efforts to start my day. My first task for the day was getting ready for work as an invigilator for CXC at the Deighton Griffith Memorial School. I have a somewhat rigid attitude to work ethic and attire. In a professional situation and one like this were young children are watching the onus is persons in this field to dress and behave in an appropriate manner. I wore a blue, sleeveless, knee length dress with a corresponding long sleeve jacket. The Jacket has no buttons which exposes the dress in the front and highlights the fact that there is a dress underneath. Deighton Griffith is a twenty minute walk from my home and to make quick work of that commute I wore flats. In my bag I had with me a pair of heals in the event that I felt differently or incomplete about my choice once I had arrived.
The morning exam went smoothly and uneventfully. For lunch I treated myself to some Chinese food which I purchased from Sheraton Centre. After that may a stop in the grocery store in the mall, Imart, which totalled my trip there to a little over $60 in food. The items were not many but I thought them all necessary; cat food, coffee and a few snacks. It is now officially a custom for me that as I pass the store directly opposite the entrance to Imart I lament the loss of my favourite clothing store. Radical Designs was the one person a person of my petite size could depend on getting a jeans and a nice top or two whether it be formal causal or in between. For about a month now, it has been replaced by a bedding store...which from the transparent glass/wall one cannot ignore the beautifully displayed four poster beds. Whether loosing the clothing store or admiring beds I probably cannot afford was more distressing I am not sure.
After getting home around 3:30pm a friend stopped by for a few hours. What was supposed to be a time of reading and studying eventually turned into making jokes and watching episodes of different series on the internet. While the air was still potentially studious an overseas call from my aunt made the day a bit more pleasant. Around 8 o’clock my guest left and I was free to spend the rest of my night perusing the internet.

No comments:

NOTICE OF THE PROJECT

MAKE TODAY HISTORY

This project by the artist Ingrid Persaud aims to record an ordinary day, Tuesday May 6 2008, in the life of people in Barbados.
If you are in Barbados on May 6 all you do is keep a diary of your day, between 600 -1000 words, and email it to her.

It will function as a time capsule capturing for history what people did on that very normal day – what they wore, what they ate, where they went, what transport they used – just the stuff of a normal day. It is not about recording extraordinary events.

The records will ultimately be available online for all to share. Keep a record of the day and send to:

maketodayhistory@gmail.com

You can email it anytime between 6 and 9 May 2008.

Please tell your family, colleagues and friends.