Monday, May 19, 2008

DIARY ENTRY 24

from Prof T. L.
to "I. Persaud"
date Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:49 AM
subject RE: From Ingrid - gentle reminder to send in your diaries of Tuesday 6 May please

hide details 9:49 AM (36 minutes ago) [Persaud diary.doc]


Reply

Diary appended. Sorry it is not more, better written, or more exciting.


Tom

Tuesday, 6 May 2008

I awoke relatively late because I had stayed up late watching CBC television on Monday evening. While CBC ought to be given an award from the National Library Service for encouraging reading, on Mondays I like to watch Boston Legal, which ends at 9:30pm. Desperate Housewives comes on after, but that show is no longer so appealing as it once was, and a 10:30pm bedtime is just too, too late.

Because I awoke late (5:45am) I chose to not go for my usual walk up the hill that is taken on most weekday mornings for reasons of health and constitution. My attire for the day was my usual brown or off-white khaki pants with a colorful short-sleeved shirt from Singapore. No tie or other such encumbrance. Breakfast today was Cheerios with some milk and a bunch of cut-up fruit, again due to being lazy, and not my preferred bacon and eggs. Orange juice, no coffee or tea (I hate coffee, and tea before tea time is a sign of moral degeneration), and that was it.

I drove to work, leaving about 6:45am, in a car borrowed from a step son because my truck had starter solenoid difficulties and my shade-tree mechanic up the hill seemed unable to quite get to the job of making the repair. Arrived at the Museum around 7:25am. Again no Internet access at the Museum in the morning, difficulties with Cable and Wireless, the company we all love to hate. After taking care of a few pressing matters, this day was devoted to painting the ceiling and one wall of the new Development Office at the Museum, a light grey color to dampen the deep red that will cover the other three walls. At the same time one of our workers, William, was put to painting two rooms in the north complex that will serve as changing rooms for the Special Events folks. The paint work mandated a change into short pants and a Tee-shirt so as not to ruin the more proper clothing that I wore to work.

In the course of the day I encountered the same Ms. Persaud for whom this diary is written. She was sitting on a wall at the Museum in the company of another equally attractive woman who had camera in hand. What they were doing is clearly beyond me as my understanding of the artistic temperament is limited at best.

Lunch was quickly inhaled, my usual yogurt, nuts, apple, and a cookie (biscuit in the local English terminology), all brought from home, water to drink.

More painting in the afternoon, then a departure for home to clean up, put back on my usual work clothes, eat a quick dinner, a pasta dish left over from the evening before, a dish I had made because my wife was out for a civic meeting leaving me to tend the kitchen, and back to the Museum with my wife along to hear Mr. Farmer deliver his lecture on the archaeological and historical collections at the Museum. A nice social interaction followed, then home very late, to bed around 10:45pm, again too, too late, the bane of we who live on farms and like to arise early, early, early. My God, living in Paradise is really boring!!!!!!

No comments:

NOTICE OF THE PROJECT

MAKE TODAY HISTORY

This project by the artist Ingrid Persaud aims to record an ordinary day, Tuesday May 6 2008, in the life of people in Barbados.
If you are in Barbados on May 6 all you do is keep a diary of your day, between 600 -1000 words, and email it to her.

It will function as a time capsule capturing for history what people did on that very normal day – what they wore, what they ate, where they went, what transport they used – just the stuff of a normal day. It is not about recording extraordinary events.

The records will ultimately be available online for all to share. Keep a record of the day and send to:

maketodayhistory@gmail.com

You can email it anytime between 6 and 9 May 2008.

Please tell your family, colleagues and friends.