Monday, May 19, 2008

DIARY ENTRY 25

from S. A.
to "I. Persaud" ,
date Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:30 PM
subject Re: From Ingrid - gentle reminder to send in your diaries of Tuesday 6 May please

hide details 10:30 PM (7 hours ago) Tuesday, May 6, 2008.doc]


Reply


Hi Ingrid,

I have attached my diary for May 6th. I have never written in a diary before. Actually I enjoyed it.

Hope you are well!

Cheers,

S



Tuesday, May 6th, 2008

Today began as usual. I woke up at 6:00 am. Made breakfast for Daniel which consisted of scrambled eggs and hash browns. At 7:00 am the driver arrived and Dan was off to school (Queen’s College).

Haven’t been to the gym for 1 week because have had this nasty cold and cough. I was up all Sunday night and I got out of bed at 5:00 am and took a spoonful of Maple Syrup. I have barely coughed since then. I think I should patent “the cure”.

I got ready to go to the gym but remembered I had to call Victoria in Toronto to wake her up. She has been shopping for things to go tree planting in Northern Ontario. I hope the black flies or the bears don’t get her – lol!!! We had a great chat for over 40 minutes – what would I do without SKYPE.

Finally at 10:30 am I went to the gym. I walked 3 miles on the treadmill and then went to my favourite coffee shop at the Sheraton Centre for a cappuccino frappe as a reward for the 3 miles at the gym. Andrew’s cousin, ShirleyAnn, was in line right behind me. We had a little chat then we both went on our separate ways.

I returned home and made spaghetti sauce for dinner. Then I had a quiet afternoon.

The good news is that my computer that crashed was delivered by Larry in working order and he even recovered all my data! I really have been born under a lucky star!!!! He also informed me that the computer should be able to keep me going for about one more year – yay, I won’t have to shell out for a new computer until 2009 (I better touch wood as I don’t want to jinx myself).

I picked up Daniel from lessons at 5:00.

In the evening I went with A. Mac. and A. G. to an evening book club meeting. This was our first meeting. It was hosted by P. at Starpoint, this is the house we lived in for two years when we moved to Barbados. It felt strange spending an evening there. Am happy we no longer live there. I hated the central garden which always seemed to attract “wildlife”. Also attending were B. O. and Lili (?). L. H. S. and one other person could not make the meeting. Each of people in attendance brought a few books that they have either already read or intend to read. It was great hearing about all those books. It makes me think I need to spend more time reading. Don’t allow myself enough reading time! I also found out more about my fellow book club members. I was surprised to hear that A. was born in Africa. Wow, you can know someone for 10 years and not really know anything about them. It was also interesting that even though 5 out of 6 people in attendance were from Canada most of the book selections were non-American and mostly dealing with African and Asian authors or settings!

Got home around 10:30 pm. When I got home, I had a short chat with Tessa and Cliff. They had been renting our cottage for 4 weeks and leave on Wednesday afternoon. They were good tenants and enjoyed having our dogs visit with them every day on the cottage terrace. When I got in the door Andrew and Daniel were both asleep.

It was 11 pm and I turned on my favourite television channel (HGTV – Home & Garden TV) to watch home renovation shows and fall asleep.

It was an ordinary day in the life of S!

Good Night!!!!!!

No comments:

NOTICE OF THE PROJECT

MAKE TODAY HISTORY

This project by the artist Ingrid Persaud aims to record an ordinary day, Tuesday May 6 2008, in the life of people in Barbados.
If you are in Barbados on May 6 all you do is keep a diary of your day, between 600 -1000 words, and email it to her.

It will function as a time capsule capturing for history what people did on that very normal day – what they wore, what they ate, where they went, what transport they used – just the stuff of a normal day. It is not about recording extraordinary events.

The records will ultimately be available online for all to share. Keep a record of the day and send to:

maketodayhistory@gmail.com

You can email it anytime between 6 and 9 May 2008.

Please tell your family, colleagues and friends.